After completing all five of his pass attempts in the 66-17 win over Charleston Southern, backup QB Hunter Helms met with the media and touched on a number of topics, including whether he thought about transferring out for a starting job.
What We Heard
- Helms is asked about his ankle injury and he said it originally happened in the spring, and he just tweaked it in camp. He sat for a few days and is fully healthy now.
- Helms said after the spring he felt he had earned the backup job and did not really entertain any thoughts of transferring. “I am where I want to be.”
- Helms called offensive coordinator Garrett Riley “calm, cool and collected.” Said he is “different.” One of his favorite things about the new scheme is how Riley calls his offense. The communication aspect.
- Said Cade Klubnik has a “next play mentality” and responds well to his mistakes. “He knows to correct them and how to correct them. He is one of the best responders I have ever seen.”
- Helms said it is important for the team to remain “inside-out” and that will help translating practice success to success on the field.
- After transforming his body during the offseason, Helms credited the nutritionists at Clemson. He said one day he looked in the mirror and realized it was a change he needed to make. “Now I just got to keep it.”
- Said Paul Tyson loves the game of football and he could see him coaching one day.
- Helms said as the backup, his job is to push Klubnik and to help him out in any way he can. Said he is brutally honest with him. “We all want to win.”
Want to join in on the discussion? 100% FREE! Interact with fellow Tiger fans and hear directly from publisher Zach Lentz, deputy editor Brad Senkiw, recruiting analyst Jason Priester and staff writer Will Vandervort on any subject. Click here to become a member of the ALL CLEMSON message board community today!
Do us a HUGE favor and like, subscribe and follow us on social media:
►LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allclemson
►FOLLOW All Clemson on Twitter:https://twitter.com/All_Clemson