CLEMSON, S.C. – Clemson (6-4, 3-4 ACC) scored 42 consecutive points and the defense tallied four interceptions to race past Georgia Tech (5-5, 4-3 ACC) in a 42-21 win on Military Appreciation Day. Sophomore quarterback Cade Klubnik threw for 205 yards and tied a career-best with four touchdown passes, and Clemson piled up 260 rushing yards.
Defensively, Clemson recorded a season-high 11 tackles for loss from 10 different players, four sacks and four interceptions, including a one by Shelton Lewis that was returned 46 yards for a touchdown. Clemson outgained a Yellow Jacket program that entered the game 14th nationally in total offense in the game by a 465-254 margin.
Here is what we heard:
- “Just proud of how our guys played. We’re starting to play like I know we can play. That’s the first time all year we’ve won the turnover margin back-to-back …. It really, truly is about the ball for this team.”
- “We’re starting to play how I knew we could play … We’ve won the turnover margin in back to back games for the first time this year — funny how that works.”
- “We’re starting to play our best football … We’re a tougher team now, mentally and physically.”
- “I was really worried about (Georgia Tech’s) offense, honestly. They came in here averaging 460-something (yards per game)…. Our starters held them to, like, 112 yards.”
- “I thought Cade was awesome. Missed a couple of plays, but he made some big plays with his legs, and he made some great reads and some great throws. It was fun to see him continue to grow right before our eyes.”
- “Two of the best plays you will see in college football today are two freshmen – Tyler Brown and Avieon Terrell”
- “Will Shipley reminded everybody today that he’s still good at football. A lotta people forgot.”
- “Barrett rolled his ankle Wednesday night. We thought he was going to be able to go, and he did everything he could Thursday & Friday to try to get himself ready, but didn’t feel stable as he needed to be this morning.”
- On the fake punt: “We said we were gonna call it going into the game…. We just didn’t quite execute it the way we needed to.”
- “(Safety) Khalil Barnes doesn’t look like a freshman. He looks like a junior running around out there.”
- “Our defense has played well enough to be a playoff team … but we haven’t done our part offensively taking care of the ball.”
- On receiver Tyler Brown’s impact on the screen game: “Not saying he’s Jacoby (Ford) but he brings that Jacoby presence … when he goes, he goes. But he plays bigger than he is.”
- “I got a lot of respect for Drake Maye. I will be glad when he is gone”
- “I knew Shipley was going to do something today. He has been mad all week.”
The staff at AllClemsonTigers.com will continue to bring you free access to news stories, features, press conferences, recruiting mailbags and game recaps, but Death Valley Domain offers something else.
Want to know more about what’s going on behind the scenes and get exclusive scoops surrounding the team? Snag that membership today and keep up with everything going on around Clemson athletics, a monthly subscription of $4.99 gets you all this and more.
Death Valley Domain also wants to make you part of AllClemsonTigers.com with members-only Q&A sessions and virtual “Tiger Happy Hour” meet-ups where we talk Clemson sports from the comfort of wherever you are.
Want to save $10? Sign up for an entire year for just $49.99 right now.
►LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allclemson
►FOLLOW All Clemson on Twitter:https://twitter.com/All_Clemson