Dabo Swinney met with the media on Sunday to recap Clemson’s 24-17 loss to NC State, preview the matchup with Notre Dame and update the injuries on his roster.
What We Heard
- “It’s a season of what could have been, if you will, but we have to flush it. The good news is we’re way more equipped than we were 13 years ago.”
- On the injury front, Swinney said everything with Will Shipley “checked out.” He is in concussion protocol. “They were worried about his neck scans, but they came back normal. That was a real positive.” As far as his availability for this weekend, it’s a wait and see approach.
- The staff is hopeful that Peter Woods will be back for Notre Dame. Swinney said Jeadyn Lukus is getting better. He has been dealing with a hip issue. “I do think he is getting better.”
- On Cade Klubnik being better if the running game was helping more: “That would help him for sure. None of us are good right now. Just not efficient. Definitely an area we got to get back on track. But he has to be more consistent too. Only two drops but one was a big drop.”
- Swinney called Tristan Leigh a “bright spot” after getting his first start at RG. “Everybody thought moving Tristan over there was the right call.”
- On the final drive: “Couple of situational things. Just kind of taking what they give us there because we ended up having to waste a timeout because he didn’t quite get the ball thrown away. On 3rd and 19, you got to get the ball to the back and make it a 4th and short. But we had a shot. There were a few things we could do a better job of. Continue to coach that and coach Cade. He still has some growing to do but I know we have a lot of bright days ahead.”
- On Notre Dame: “Obviously, the QB. I have seen him a long time. Tough guy makes plays with his legs. Tough RB. And defensively a lot of leadership. Some veteran dudes. Just a complete team. We will have our hands full. We will have to play well.”
- On WRs and TEs blocking in run game: “We’re not doing anything good enough.”
- “We’re averaging about two turnovers a game, so that’s like a broken record. Seems like every week it’s something different. We just have to keep playing. Hopefully, it’ll turn. Nothing we’re doing is good enough right now. We’re not coaching good enough, especially offensively.”
- On Robert Gunn: “He has been getting a shot the last three weeks. He has not even been close (to Weitz). He is getting a chance every single day.” Swinney said Weitz isn’t perfect but he is their best shot right now.
Want to join in on the discussion? 100% FREE! Interact with fellow Tiger fans and hear directly from publisher Zach Lentz, deputy editor Brad Senkiw, recruiting analyst Jason Priester on any subject. Click here to become a member of the ALL CLEMSON message board community today!
Do us a HUGE favor and like, subscribe and follow us on social media:
►LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allclemson
►FOLLOW All Clemson on Twitter: https://twitter.com/All_Clemson