CLEMSON—Clemson and South Carolina will meet for the 120th time in history when the Tigers close their 2023 regular season on the road against the Gamecocks on Saturday, Nov. 25. Kickoff at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
Clemson will look to reassume annual in-state bragging rights after South Carolina snapped Clemson’s series-record-tying seven-game win streak in the rivalry with a one-point win a season ago. Clemson holds a 72-43-4 record in the rivalry and has held the series lead since 1898.
What did we hear:
- “It’s here … rivalry week. If you’re a fan of college football you love this week. It’s something I appreciate and never take for granted. Fun to be part of games that matter so much to so many people”
- South Carolina quarterback Spencer Rattler: “Every week I’m looking up and I’m seeing some quarterback that’s gonna play in the NFL.”‘
- On South Carolina WR Xavier Legette: “17 is a superstar. Again, it feels like every week I look up and there’s some (athletic) freak we’re gonna be defending. Presents a lot of challenges”
- ‘Regardless of what happens on the scoreboard Saturday night, whether you are a Tiger or a Gamecock, we all have a lot to be thankful for to be able to celebrate a game and compete.”
- “We got a lot to be thankful for, all of us, that we have the privilege to participate in a game like this … we can’t ever lose sight of how blessed and how fortunate you are to have pause, if you will, and celebrate a game.”
- On if there’s any extra juice for this weekend w/ South Carolina needing a win for bowl eligibility: “It’s already juiced up … whether you’re 0-12 or 12-0 you wanna win this game”
- WR Beaux Collins is sore and will likely not practice this week. WR Antonio Williams is still day-to-day.
- Spencer Rattler “creates a problem for you with his legs and his arms”
- Xavier Legette is “a great reminder to everybody that this is a developmental game … it’s so much more than skill in football.”
- “With the intensity of recruiting…. When kids aren’t great players as freshman, it’s like, ‘They stink.’ And it’s just a such a bad mindset… This is a developmental game.”
- “Guys like Deshaun (Watson) and Trevor (Lawrence) and Sammy Watkins they screw it up for everyone else. Those guys are cyborgs. It’s just not the norm”
- On how the portal fits into his development philosophy: “There’s a time & a place for a fresh start… The portal is a great tool for coaches & a great tool for the kids. Sometimes they just need new opportunities. Sometimes they just want to have a chance to play.”
- On the Clemson-USC rivalry: “There’s no pro sports in this state … You move to Charleston, move to Greenville, you’re gonna get sucked into it one way or another and if you don’t you’re gonna lose some friends … they’re not gonna let you ride the fence”
- “We’re not playing Oklahoma-Oklahoma State. Are you kidding me? How the heck are we not playing Oklahoma-Oklahoma State … That’s like not playing Clemson-South Carolina.”
- South Carolina RB Mario Anderson: “What a great story … He’s just risen and risen. You better have your big boy pads on when you tackle him”
- “We’ve had a chance to win every single game we’ve played and every game we’ve lost we’ve lost the turnover margin.”
- On the fact that Donald Trump is attending the game: “I don’t care who comes to the game, I just care about who plays in the game. Unless Shane’s gonna come in and throw him a halfback pass or something.”
The staff at AllClemsonTigers.com will continue to bring you free access to news stories, features, press conferences, recruiting mailbags and game recaps, but Death Valley Domain offers something else.
Want to know more about what’s going on behind the scenes and get exclusive scoops surrounding the team? Snag that membership today and keep up with everything going on around Clemson athletics, a monthly subscription of $4.99 gets you all this and more.
Death Valley Domain also wants to make you part of AllClemsonTigers.com with members-only Q&A sessions and virtual “Tiger Happy Hour” meet-ups where we talk Clemson sports from the comfort of wherever you are.
Want to save $10? Sign up for an entire year for just $49.99 right now.
►LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allclemson
►FOLLOW All Clemson on Twitter:https://twitter.com/All_Clemson