Dabo Swinney: ‘We are a team that’s a couple of plays from being undefeated-that’s a fact’

CLEMSON—Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney will attempt to pass College Football Hall of Famer Frank Howard for sole possession of Clemson’s all-time head coaching wins record on Saturday, Oct. 21, when his Tigers face the Miami Hurricanes in prime time. Kickoff at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET.

Prior to Clemson’s open date last week, Swinney tied Howard atop Clemson’s all-time leaderboard with a 17-12 win against Wake Forest on Oct. 7. Both the opponent and the opponent’s point total drew historical parallels. Wake Forest last defeated Clemson in 2008, a loss that led to Swinney’s ascension to head coach the following week. Wake Forest also scored 12 points in that contest, though in 2008 those 12 points resulted in a 12-7 Wake Forest win rather than the 17-12 defeat Wake Forest suffered this season that evened Swinney with Howard in the wins column.

Here is what we heard:

  • “I think we can play with anybody in the country and can beat anybody, but we can also lose to anybody. That’s kind of where we are in college football right now.”‘
  • Hurricanes a “really really good team … loaded all across the board on both sides of the ball”
  • Hurricanes have had “two tough games that have gone against them, but they can beat any team in the country … kinda like we can.”
  • They’ve created some momentum coming off the last two games, the break was good due to the injuries, expect to have everyone who is available ready to go at Miami.
  • Sheridan Jones, Nate Wiggins and Antonio Williams should be back against Miami: “We anticipate having everybody.”
  • Top to bottom, Miami is a really good team. They’ve had two tough games go against them but they can beat anyone, just like his team can play with anyone in the country.
  • Got six tough games ahead of them, they can beat anyone but they can also lose to any team left on their schedule.
  • CBs Nate Wiggins and Sheridan Jones and WR Antonio Williams: “They just healed. We just wrapped them in bubble wrap.”
  • Robert Gunn has been kicking field goals again: “Hopefully that’ll create a little competition (at kicker).”
  • Swinney on watching CFB during the bye week: “We’re a crazy, sick profession that way…”
  • comments from last night’s radio show: “I guess nobody has a sense of humor anymore around here… I was trying to pep them up a little bit. A little adversity in this world is sometimes good…Literally, 98.5 percent are amazing … The other 1.5 percent, they create a lot problems. They are part of the problem, not the solution.”
  • “if anybody doesn’t believe in us after what we’ve done the last 15 years, they didn’t believe in us in the first place. So it doesn’t matter to me.”
  • On getting Williams back, Dabo says, “It doesn’t hurt us getting zero back, that’s for sure.”
  • Both Mitchell Mayes and Harris Sewell will get RG reps on Saturday. “I don’t see a situation where both don’t play…We’ll see who runs out there first.”


The staff at AllClemsonTigers.com will continue to bring you free access to news stories, features, press conferences, recruiting mailbags and game recaps, but Death Valley Domain offers something else.

Want to know more about what’s going on behind the scenes and get exclusive scoops surrounding the team? Snag that membership today and keep up with everything going on around Clemson athletics, a m

Aonthly subscription of $4.99 gets you all this and more.

Death Valley Domain also wants to make you part of AllClemsonTigers.com with members-only Q&A sessions and virtual “Tiger Happy Hour” meet-ups where we talk Clemson sports from the comfort of wherever you are.

Want to save $10? Sign up for an entire year for just $49.99 right now.

►LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allclemson

►SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/AllClemson

FOLLOW All Clemson on Twitter:https://twitter.com/All_Clemson

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments