RALEIGH- The Clemson Tigers suffered another devastating defeat on Saturday at NC State.
After trailing 24-7, the Tigers pulled to within one score late in the fourth quarter and had the ball with a chance to tie it up and send the game into overtime, but could get no further than midfield before turning it over on downs and losing 24-17.
Clemson has now dropped back-to-back games for the first time since 2011 and currently sits at just 4-4 on the season. The last time the Tigers started 4-4 was way back in 2010, Dabo Swinney’s second season as the full-time head coach.
After recording seven catches in the loss, WR Troy Stellato met with the media and discussed some of the frustrations with how the season has played out.
What We Heard
- When asked what might be leading to all the turnovers, Stellato said, “Attention to detail? I don’t know. I’ve been playing football a really long time, but I think it was a batted pass touchdown, a tipped ball, just a freak play.”
- “I feel like just everything is going against us this year a little bit. We’re a 4-4 football team but we’re not that. We aren’t that. We all know we aren’t that. We’re just like literally a couple plays away every game. It’s frustrating. It really is because we all put in so much hard work and every week, these freak plays happen.
- On that last drive: “We always have confidence. No doubt in my mind. I thought we were gonna go win the game there. I thought I was gonna go make a game winning TD catch. That’s just the mindset. Just stalled out at the end there.”
- On Will Shipley going down with an injury: “That’s tough. He is one of the best players. I think he is gonna be ok so that is great news.”
- On the frustrations of the season: “It makes me attentive to detail. It kind of motivates me internally. We are Clemson at the end of the day. We have no business being 4-4. It’s not ok. It is not our standard. It is not my standard.”
- On what it would take to get things back on track: “Getting the win next week against Notre Dame. I feel like that would be really big. They got a good team over there. Getting a win would put us on the right track. The season is not over. No one in there is going to lay down.”
Want to join in on the discussion? 100% FREE! Interact with fellow Tiger fans and hear directly from publisher Zach Lentz, deputy editor Brad Senkiw, recruiting analyst Jason Priester on any subject. Click here to become a member of the ALL CLEMSON message board community today!
Do us a HUGE favor and like, subscribe and follow us on social media:
►LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allclemson
►FOLLOW All Clemson on Twitter: https://twitter.com/All_Clemson